Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Days of Handmade Gifts: Day 2 {Dessert Stand}


Welcome to Day 2 of 31 Days of Handmade Gifts!  You can see Day 1 over here.  If you all are on Pinterest or read a few blogs, then you probably have seen a DIY dessert stand or two.  Unfortunately I don't have one of my own to post as I haven't gotten around to making one yet (and I admit that I even have the supplies to make one!).  So I will show you all a few of my favorites for some inspiration.  Most are made with some sort of candle stick and a melamine plate (or two).

1. Interchangable Tiered Cake Stand from Giverslog


My personal favorite is the orange and white one.   The coolest part about these stands is that they come apart so they store easier and can be used with different plates for different occasions or seasons.  They do require you to drill a hole in the plate, which isn't an option for me at the moment (apartment living, no drill).  You can also use a strong glue (E6000) to assemble these, but they wouldn't be interchangable or able to be disassembled. 



Love the bright colors of these, especially the red base!



This dessert tray is made out of stovetop burner covers and candlesticks.  Clever!  You can also use scrapbook paper to add color or make it holiday appropriate.  This stand is also made with drilling holes, but I think strong glue could be used too.


3. Cupcake stand by The Crafting Chicks


How adorable is this stand?!  They used plastic cake board circles with ribbon around the edges, but you could use any cute plate you can find.  



This cake stand is made out of a painted wood candlestick and wood board attached together.  The cutest part is the stenciled design on top!  I'm lovin' the teal!



Wow!  I love the bright colors of these trays!  The plates and candlesticks were dollar store purchases, even better!

Hope these great dessert stands have inspired you to make one as well, either for yourself or a gift!

One thing to remember, if you spray paint the top of the dessert/cake stand surface then it is not food safe.  That's why I would recommend getting a cute plate so you can put anything you want on it, not just desserts like cupcakes.

See you tomorrow for Day 3!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Those examples are so cute. I feel a need to go out and look for cute plates now. I'm looking forward to what else you've got to share this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon! I keep seeing them on Pinterest and other blogs and love them! Target has some great plates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. promptly pinned! I'm thinking mom and sister need these for Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and leave a little note! I really appreciate your comments. They encourage me in ways you probably don't know! Have a blessed day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...