Thursday, December 1, 2011

Matchbox Advent Calendar {Mini Tutorial}

Thanks to Pinterest, I decided to make an Advent calendar for Brett and I.  There are so many great ideas out there, but I needed something quick, cheap and easy.  So I decided upon a matchbox advent!



To make this advent calendar I did the following:
  1. Gather empty matchboxes (or buy 3 packs of 10 at the dollar store and empty out the boxes)
  2. Make a template to use to cut out scrapbook paper (I just wrapped a small piece around a matchbox and made little cuts on the edge and then used my paper cutter to trim it down)
  3. Select  scrapbook paper and cut out covers for matchboxes
  4. Using spray adhesive, cover the matchboxes with the cut paper
  5. Punch/cut out circles from scrapbook paper
  6. Stamp 1-25 onto circles (you could also print out the numbers and then cut them out)
  7. Adhere circles onto matchbox with spray adhesive
  8. Hot glue magnets onto the back of the matchboxes
  9. Fill matchboxes with activities, candy or tiny gifts/ornaments
  10. Put matchboxes on fridge or other metal surface (I am using a cookie sheet from the dollar store-I may paint it red and attach something to hang it, but it will have to wait til after the move!)
Easy peasy! 

Since it's just Brett and I, I thought it would be a good idea to put activities for us to do together inside the matchboxes.  In this busy time of year it's easy to get caught up in the holiday preparations and over look spending time with our spouse so I wanted to avoid that (especially since it is our last Christmas just the two of us!).  Here are the activities we will be doing (but in a different order):
  • Bake and decorate sugar cookies
  • Watch A Christmas Carol
  • Drive and look at Christmas lights
  • Make peppermint bark
  • Wrap presents together
  • Read the story of Christ's birth (in Luke)
  • Enjoy hot some homemade hot chocolate
  • Watch Polar Express
  • Decorate the Christmas tree
  • Take spare change to the Salvation Army bell ringer
  • Buy each other's stocking stuffers for under $10
  • Watch The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
  • Play a board game
  • Have a candlelight dinner at home
  • Send out Christmas cards
  • Make a gingerbread house
  • Attend Christmas Eve Service
  • Plan & go on a free date
  • Watch Elf
  • Participate in an Angel Tree or Food Drive
  • Listen to favorite Christmas music
  • Take cookies to friends and/or family
  • Make ornaments
  • Take a family picture
  • Go see a Christmas movie
Did you make an advent calendar this year?  I'd love to see it so let me know if you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and leave a little note! I really appreciate your comments. They encourage me in ways you probably don't know! Have a blessed day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...